26101: Jepiem: (reply) Fwd: Re: 26055 (reply) Constitution or no Constitution (fwd)

From: Jepiem@aol.com

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all laws should be trashed. To be
realistic however you have to realize that this has been exactly the  state of
affairs in Haiti for quite some time. Didn't Duvalier neutralize  the Army and
create his own private army? Under what constitution. Didn't  Duvalier abolish
all provisions of existing constitutions not suitable to his  fancy and his
desire to remain in power? Who really made that 1987 constitution  and what
makes is such a wisdom impregnated document? It really hasn't even  benefited
of

the test of time. People in power started violating it from the  time it was
put in place. We are now living under constant violation of that  Constitution.

Where does the Conseil des Sages get its power from? Why did we  accept the
deportation of the constitutional president A la Toussaint  Louverture? Who
called for the French the Canadians and the Americans to come  meddle in the
affairs of Haiti and under what constitution? Is it Constitutional  to be
Selective about the Constitution like most of the rulers and politicians  have
been?
The truth of the matter is that Haiti is at a real cross road and  involved
people really need to face the fact and take the opportunity to put  their
energies together and make a real revolution instead of squabbling over  the
remains
of a dead horse, the old battered 1987 constitution. Instead of  elections in
a rush which will accomplish nothing people should be thinking  about real
reforms and force those who plunged the country in that crisis to  assume their

responsibilities and come up with a Marshall plan to reform Haiti.  And that
by the way should include a new real practical and livable Charter or
governance. Call it a new CONSTITUTION if you wish.
Math Jay