26300: Walton (Discuss) RE: 26270: Nlbo (news) Haitian Parental Involve ment Activities -- Boston (fwd)

From: "Walton, Robert" <robert.walton3@us.army.mil>

Re: "As the organizer of the Title I sessions, bringing either 80, or 50, or
30 Haitians out on Sunday nights  was a monumental job.   No parents
responded to the 250 letters I mailed." (Title I of Cambridge, the city's
Bilingual program, the Agenda for Children office, 21rst Century after
school program, and  Seeking Educational Equity & Diversity (SEED)
held in Creole for Haitian parents and students at nights and weekends.)

Comment: People come to meetings when they believe the meeting's agenda
reflects their interests and meets their needs, not just the needs and
interests of the meeting's organizers.  Bottom line- When stakeholders
believe an agency actually wants to consider their interests and needs,
meeting attendance becomes a non-problem.

Bob Walton
waltonr@hotmail.com