26296: Hyppolite Pierre Re: La Scierie indictment (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

It's is known now for sure: the judge in the "La Scierie"-first-genocide (according to RNDDH)-then-massacre story, after having reportedly (according to media reports) decided that there was no case, has now decided to indict former government officials including Privert (jailed) and Neptune (also jailed). This is a very interesting case, for if the lawyers for these and many former government officials are able to do their job well, they will be able to expose a number of weaknesses in our judicial system in Haiti. Those weaknesses include (but are not limited to): - the overwhelming power of a right-wing sponsored special interest group, self-proclaimed human rights organization in Haiti, the RNDDH; - the overwhelming power and influence of a small group of Haitian traditionalists on the executive branch of government;
- the weakness of our judicial system; and
- the continuing misuse of power in Haiti by Haitian traditionalists of the upper class. Those who are on the side of justice in Haiti should not, cannot stay on the sideline, whatever their political opinion. At the same time, lawyers for the victimized members of the former regime should be cautious and remain level-headed in this process. They should not think or consider this case as a slam dunk, for those in power and their chimeric acolytes in wealthy capitals around the globe will also use their public relations power and experience to do injustice once more in Haiti. I would even advise the former officals' lawyers the following: - they need to make sure that the media, national and international, have access to the courtroom proceeding, with recording camera if possible; - they should use their rights during the procedure before trial to enforce laws regarding pretrial "Discovery" skillfully, properly, honestly, intelligently, and calmly; - they need to screen all potential jurors in this case, and make sure that the actual jurors are protected against potential backlash (i.e. murder) if the verdict rendered is not the one that fake human rights organization in Haiti wants to see given. - they need to expose the political connections of this case and if possible, call relevant and interested members of RNDDH to the witness stand, so the whole world can see how a so-called human rights organization in a fourth-world country can use its power and influence to cause injustice. After all, RNDDH (NCHR/Haiti before then) was the organization that theorized "La Scierie genocide", and then called it "massacre". They are (as we say in French), partie prenante in this case. They need to be on the witness stand as well to at least explain how and where dogs could have eaten so many corpses during this so-called "genocide". I am very interested in this case, very much so and for many reasons. Perhaps the most important reason is the fact that should justice be rendered in this case, it might become a precedent for all future governments (from the right and the left) to learn not to try to use the judicial process for political gain. I am sure that many may not see it that way. It is however crucial for the world at large to remain focus on what happened in la Scierie. It is perhaps the only way that the right and the left of Haitian politics will get to learn that justice does not mean revenge. Best regards,
Hyppolite Pierre