26335: RepresentAction: (political appeal) SIMEUS TO APPEAL (fwd)

From: RepresentAction <info@representaction.net>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
For Too Many Years
September 25, 2005
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For too many years, the status quo has brought Haiti poverty, illiteracy,
poor health care and few jobs. Dumarsais Siméus wants to bring positive
change to our country and our people: to create jobs, put food on the table
and bring new hope for every Haitian with each new day.

Unfortunately, status quo forces are working to prevent him from bringing
his pro-democracy vision and plan for change to Haiti and are trying to keep
him off the ballot.

Dumarsais Siméus has entered his appeal in Haiti, but the CEP, the Haitian
government and the international community needs to hear from you. They need
to hear that the people of Haiti want to be allowed to freely select leaders
who will achieve real change and bring the reforms that we need today.

If you believe it is time for a change in Haiti...

If you want to see free elections and a reformed government in Haiti...

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION! Together, we can demand a fair election process
that brings a true democratic government that works for the people

1. Contact the Conseil Electoral Provisoire République d'Haïti. Tell them
that you want a fair election process that allows people like Dumarsais
Siméus to run. He has met 100% of the legal and constitutional requirements.

Max Mathurin, Président
Francois Benoit, Trésorier
Rosemond Pradel, Secrétaire Général
Josfa R. Gauthier, Membre
Pauris Jean Baptiste, Membre
Pierre Richard Duchemin, Membre
Patrick Fequière, Membre
Louis Gerson Richeme, Membre
Freud Jean, Membre

Address:
Counseil Electoral Provisoire République d'Haïti
300 Autorute de Delmas
Port-au-Prince, HAITI
Email: contact@cep-ht.org, info@cep-ht.org
Phone: 011 (509) 246-1733, 249-1360, 246-1791, 249-2699, 246-0974
Website: http://www.cep-ht.org/informinstitu.html

2. Contact the Media. Tell them Dumarsais Siméus should be allowed to run.
That he has fulfilled 100% of the legal and constitutional requirements to
run and that he will bring his business know-how to turn the economy around
and make life better for all Haitians.

Radio Soleil International
RadSol@aol.com
718-693-5100 station manager
718-940-0614 fax
508-980-9772 office
508-857-5620 office fax

Bienvenue Sur Radio Independance
239-334-4011 office
239-334-7250 fax
2815 Grand Avenue, Fort Myers, FL 33901
independancefm@hotmail.com

Radio Tropicale
Bob Lemoine, blemoine@radiotropicale.com
Guy-Evans Ford, GEF@radiotropicale.com
718-941-8880 office
718-941-8288 fax

Planet 17
hervelemoine@netzero.com
p17@planet17radio.com

VOA-Creole
330 Independence Avenue, SW
Room 3520
Washington, D.C. 20237
Telefòn: (202) 619-1569
Fax: (202) 619-0601
creole-service@voanews.com

Radio Haiti Amerique VIA
haitiamerique@hotmail.com
www.radyolevekanpe.com

Radyo Leve Kanpe
radyolevekanpe@comcast.net

WPFW News
www.wpfw.org
202-588-0893 on air
202-588-0999 off air
202-588-0561 fax
jordan_tiffany@wpfw.org

Mega 1020 FM
Alex Saint-Surin
786-486-3702
radlaki@aol.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
TALKING POINTS
For Radio Interviews
September 24, 2005
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Dumarsais Siméus should appeal Haitian presidential ballot because...

2. Dumarsais Siméus is a Haitian-Born reformer, he was nominated by a
left-right coalition of political parties, the victim of an 11th-hour
political dirty trick by status quo forces

3. It is an abuse of power, an illegal last-minute maneuver to bar
opposition by a status quo force threatened by the momentum among Haitian
people calling for change, and a blatant attempt by insiders may undermine
free elections.

4. Under Haitian law, in order for the CEP to disqualify a candidate, a
public objection must be filed at the CEP within 72 hours of the September
15 deadline for candidate registration. No such objection was ever filed.
Just this past Thursday, widespread radio reports in Haiti Thursday
confirmed that the CEP had voted to approve the candidacy of the
pro-democracy reform movement founded by Mr. Siméus.

5. Born and raised in the Artibonite, the son and grandson of illiterate
Haitian rice farmers, Mr. Siméus rose to own one of the world?s largest
black-owned businesses. As required by the Constitution, he is a Haitian
citizen of Haitian origin, owns property in Haiti and has been a continuous
and visible presence there throughout his life, personally and through his
foundation, which supplies clean water and health care to the people of
Haiti.

6. Mr. Siméus supplied all of the legal documents, paperwork, party
nominations, signatures, affidavits and candidate file required by the CEP.
Attorneys for Mr. Siméus, including many of the best-known and most
accomplished lawyers in Haiti, had received formal, written confirmation of
provisional acceptance of Mr. Siméus candidacy last week, including the
legal guarantee that his name would be on the presidential ballot unless
objections were lodged within the 72-hour window.

7. Late Friday night, the CEP suddenly and inexplicably reversed that
decision, striking Mr. Siméus from the list of candidates released by the
provisional government in Port au Prince at the last minute. However, that
list is provisional and subject to appeal.

Finally... Dumarsais Siméus should appeal Haitian presidential ballot
because... he is a victim of an 11th-hour political dirty trick by status
quo forces. It is an abuse of power, an illegal last-minute maneuver to bar
opposition by a status quo force threatened by the momentum among Haitian
people calling for change, and a blatant attempt by insiders may undermine
free elections.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
SIMÉUS TO APPEAL HAITIAN PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT
September 24, 2005
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Haitian-Born Reformer, Nominated by Broad Coalition of Political Parties
Decries 11th-Hour Political Decision to Bar His Candidacy

Possible Abuse of Power Threatens to Undermine Free Elections, Transparency

September 24, 2005 -- (PORT AU PRINCE) Dumarsais Siméus, the Haitian-born
businessman who has been nominated by a broad reform coalition of important
Haitian political parties, under the banner "Tet Ansamn," today appealed the
political decision of the CEP (Electoral Provisional Council), which late
Friday night reversed its earlier Thursday decision to include Dumarsais
Siméus on the list of approved presidential candidates.

Under Haitian law, in order for the CEP to disqualify a candidate, a public
objection must be filed at the CEP within 72 hours of the September 15
deadline for candidate registration. No such objection was ever filed. This
past Thursday, widespread radio reports in Haiti confirmed that the CEP had
voted to approve the candidacy of the pro-democracy reform movement founded
by Mr. Siméus.

Born and raised in the Artibonite, the son and grandson of illiterate
Haitian rice farmers, Mr. Siméus rose to own one of the world?s largest
black-owned businesses. As required by the Constitution, he is a Haitian
citizen of Haitian origin, owns property in Haiti and has been a continuous
and visible presence there throughout his life, personally and through his
foundation, which supplies clean water and health care to the people of
Haiti.

Mr. Siméus supplied all of the legal documents, paperwork, party
nominations, signatures, affidavits and other documents required by the CEP.
Attorneys for Mr. Siméus had received formal, written confirmation of
provisional acceptance of Mr. Siméus candidacy last week, including the
legal guarantee that his name would be on the presidential ballot unless
objections were lodged within the 72-hour window.

Late Friday night, the CEP suddenly and inexplicably reversed that decision,
striking Mr. Siméus from the list of candidates released in Port au Prince
at the last minute. However, that list is provisional and subject to appeal.

"We filed a formal appeal earlier today with the CEP," Siméus said. "If the
CEP persists to bar our campaign for reform, we will go to the Supreme Court
and appeal under the law to restore our candidacy, so that our coalition of
parties and candidates may compete in a free, fair and democratic election.
We are confident in both the appeal process and the Supreme Court that
justice will prevail. The people of Haiti must be allowed to freely select
leaders who will achieve real change and bring the reforms that we need in
Haiti today."

Campaign Contact
Vanessa Brown: vanessa@simeusfoundation.org, 817-473-5246 or 509-555-7378

Media Contact