26580: Vedrine: (article):What are the presidential candidates credentials in Haitian (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

“What are the presidential candidates’ credentials in Haitian society?”

by E. W. VEDRINE
Boston Haitian Reporter, Oct. 2005

Looking at a question raised by someone recently about the Curriculum Vitae of the presidential candidates, I would say the most important question is rather ‘What have they done yet for the country so that Haitian people can trust them by casting a vote for them in November? If that question is being answered in their CV’s, that’s fine!

It’s about time that we don’t let our naked eyes fool us any longer by reading long CV’s with nothing grandiose in terms of what the person has done as positive for his society. Most Haitians are impressed by the number of diplomas someone has on his wall instead of going through what that person has accomplished for his community / country within a time frame (whether he has diplomas or not). What university have Toussaint, Dessalines, Christophe, Petion, Charlemagne Peralte attended? Can anyone answer that question? Is it possible to make a list of positive things they have accomplished for Haiti?

CV’s can be trompe l’oeuil. It’s good to reach a high level of education if possible, but the real question is: What do you do with it afterward? Do you just hang your diplomas on the wall at home or in your office? It seems that the more diplomas Haitians get from universities, the more kretin (stupid) they become in the sense of knowing how to do things, knowing how to do the right thing, knowing how to produce, knowing how to do positive things to help their society.

Let’s try to make a list of positive things that these long list of presidential candidates have accomplished for Haiti so far. There goes the challenge! Second, I observe that some people start clapping their hands for some candidates who have entered the race, projecting them as “new saviors” for Haiti. This is one of the worst things that someone can do. Dating and marriage are two different ballgames.

If someone is not in power yet, how on earth do we know that this person will be a good leader, especially if he did not prove himself beforehand? It would be better to review a politician’s work after he leaves power rather than before he ascend to power.

Let’s be wise in dealing with “Haitian Politics” for it’s very fragile. I like the American saying: “I am from Missouri, show me”.

(E.W.Vedrine