26618: Fouche (comment) RICHARD MORSE for President (Lifetime job placement not necessary...) (fwd)

From: Rachel Fouché" <rfouche@verizon.net>

Unfortunately, only being of Haitian ancestry precludes my ability in actually putting my two cents into the upcoming Haitian elections. And I won't lie to you that trying to get all the major players straight in my mind has not been an uphill battle for myself -- if I could only remember names better, I too could be an academic intellectual. The list for President of Haiti is long, but I would like to proffer one more name for the list. There is one person we on the Corbett List know -- dare I say love? -- that I feel should be elected as President of Haiti purely on the basis that this man is sane enough to reject such a job position. But as I have dutifully done every four years since I could vote and penciled in the name of "Jimmy Carter" as my vote getter for President of the United States, I think we on the Corbett list should start a "Richard Morse for President" campaign for our beloved Emerald of the Caribbean.

Why Monsieur Morse, you may be thinking?  Let me count the ways:

1) Richard Morse makes really cool Haitian roots music, and as President of Haiti, I'm sure he would be integral in the continued growth of Haitian art.

2) Unlike many of the politicos vying to get their hands on the governance of Haiti, Mr. Morse has held down a steady job as a hotelier in a volatile third-world country, thereby contributing to the coffers of the government instead of taking from it.

3) By successfully maintaining a piece of Haitian history (see #2), Richard has shown his reverence for historical landmarks and their upkeep.

4) Mr. Morse seems to have a complete understanding of the modern Haitian experience -- a Haitian American living in the country of his ancestors.

5) I don't think he would want the job as President of Haiti, which could really bode well for the country. That rejection points to a high level of sanity, a component often missing among Haiti's long history as a free republic.

6) Being American born, I am sure Richard Morse is aware of the level of English needed to speak to the current President of the United States -- you've been to Texas before haven't you, Mr. Morse?

Well, I could go on, but to me there is only one solution to the Haitian quagmire -- besides praying for supernatural intervention in the whole, sordid event -- and that is to make the person who would want the job least take the job, just like ol' George Washington. Of course I mean no disrespect to Mr. Morse by nominating in this valiant effort, but Haiti has tried so many different methods of management over hundreds of years... why not enforced presidency, non?

With Tongue Planted Respectfully in Cheek,

Rachel Fouché