26693: jrigdon: (reply) Re: 26684: Nlbo (Comments)College Students: A Neglected Group in theHaitian Community (fwd)

From: jrigdon@researchonline.net

I read with interest Nekita's article about remembering the foreign -
specifically Haitain students at the holidays.  For 10 years or so now my
church has sponsored an international community covered dish Thanksgiving
and Christmas dinner which includes a short program and talent show for all
who want to volunteer.  It has become the highlight of our year.  Our
community has many Chinese and Spanish students and a smattering of other
countries are also represented.  This year we had over 200 in attendance at
Thanksgiving and 20 or so countries represented.  We cook the turkeys, but
everyone brings a favorite dish and it makes for a truly international
dinner.

Most every college campus has an international group and if you don't
already have a contact just call the office of International Student
affairs.  Invite someone over for Christmas dinner or take them and the kids
to the aquarium - or the movies.  It makes for a great special Christmas to
remember.

John Rigdon
Tools and Resources for Haiti
http://www.researchonline.net/haiti