26777: Nekita: (Reply)Conferences & Financial difficulties (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

Kathleen,

Luckily I live in Boston. I did not have to pay for hotels. Otherwise, I
would not have been able to attend either. This was my first time since HSA was in
its embryonic stage that I am able to participate in its conference. I could
never afford going to Porto Rico or Haiti for 3 days.

I remember once someone asked what can Simeus do for Haiti. My dream is
Haitians  with modest means whether they live in Haiti or in the diaspora,  would
support educational, intellectual activities and organizations, HSA being one
of them. Though I am not a board member, I know that HSA doesn't have have the
financial means to provide scholarships for those who are interested and can't
attend the annual conferences.

I hope Haitians whether they are in Haiti or in the US would one day
understand creativity and those who have money can support  arts, books, printing,
conferences and the like. If we call ourselves free, we don't have to depend on
others to produce materials that will maintain and pass on our culture and the
history of our ancestor's  fight for freedom. We talk about changing Haiti's
image, but those of us with ideas on how to do it don't have the financial
capacity or the money to buy the time that will allow us to engage in activities
that will create a positive image of Haiti or beautiful things that Haitians do
such as the HSA conference. As we know by now, the mainline media don't cover
positive things that Haitians do. The Boston Globe did not pen anything on
HSA.

As I said in my article, HSA needs to be closer to the poorly literate
community and intervene due to the mediocrity that is allowed to reign in the
Haitian community where they are based. On the other hand, I know they don't have
money, but with all that knowledge and creativity, I am optimistic with
flexibility and openness HSA would be able  to find means to  intervene  and teach
Haitians the integrity and importance of self help and interdependency. HSA can
be active in the local communities via several "umbrella" or satellite of
fices/sites or representatives. After a while with visibility and active
participation and educational awareness, HSA can organize fund raising  in the Haitian
community itself. With satellite offices and close rapport with local
communities, HSA could vision  connecting with local residents who would open their
homes for a weekend to conference participants. Finally through teaching self help
and community understanding and trust, HSA can organize events and raise
enough money in the Haitan community and  at the long run will have scholarships
available for students and those with minimal means.

 It's not hard core science. It's simply seeing and running HSA with a
different vision and attitude.

Nekita