26942: Corbett: List procedure change -- no more e-mail addresses

From Bob Corbett

Folks, Don Craig pointed out to me there has been an increased activity of
spammers "harvesting" e-mail addresses from the list. I'm an olderster, so that sentence had language in it I didn't really understand, but a call to one of my nephews got it all explained. For others of you who may not know the language and procedures of computerland what it seems is going on is this:

I post notes and put the e-mail address of the poster. People who adversize on line take those e-mail addresses and you get tons of unwanted mail.

I notice this as well. So, beginning now, I will no longer post the e-mail address of the person posting the note. There were two main reasons I did this:

1. So you could privately e-mail the sender if you wanted private conversation on issues.

2. so you would know who it was that was sending the note. This was requested since some folks know some regular posters and don't want their notes.

I will still post EITHER the poster's name, or e-mail log-in name.

Thus not billyjoe@aol.com, but simply billyjoe

The spammers can't use that, but you will know who the poster is.

This procedure begins with the next post.

Thanks to Dan for bringing this problem to my attention.

Bob Corbett