27320: kathleen (comment) Re: 27310: Morse (predict) the future of illegal immigrants (fwd)

From Kathleen:

    It's worth noting the difference between American and Haitian attitudes
towards skin color.
    Here in the U.S., Nagin and Powell, for example (there are
lighter-skinned and more Caucasian-featured ones) are unquestionably
"black,"
    whereas Haitians have a mind-boggling array of descriptives to
distinguish shade of skin.  It matters.  People would ask me when I searched
for someone, "what color is his skin?"  When I replied that I could say
nothing of note about his skin tone, often a nearby Haitian would explain to
the others that Americans were like that, they didn't notice skin tones.