27545: Durban (comment): Anecdotal Voting Experience (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

In Corbett #27536, Severe asks if anyone in Corbettland voted and if so
what was their experience.  As an American, I could not and did not
vote, but I have asked several good Haitian friends about their voting
"experience".  One voted in Bourdon (between PAP and Petionville) and
said it went smoothly, taking exactly 27 minutes.
A second person, voting at one of the locations about halfway up Delmas
needed 40 to 45 minutes.  However, a third, voting in a third location
(also on Delmas), had gotten in line at 6 AM, but the bureau opened
late and she didn't get to vote until about 3 PM.  She did say,
however, that that her father, voting in another location, was given
favorable treatment because of his age and was able to move through
quickly.

The mood at our factory today, seems to be upbeat.  Everyone talking
about their experiences yesterday.  As in the U.S. elections, I think
most people felt some civic duty to make the effort to vote, but how
many then actually did go out and vote... I don't know.

L. Durban