27727: Morse (comment) A whole lotta folks

_oloffsonram@aol.com_ (mailto:oloffsonram@aol.com)

I was watching Tele Guinen (local TV) this morning and it seems that the
48.7% of the electorate took to the streets. I can't describe how far the
crowd

went in either direction (Delmas) or how many people I saw, but even  the
camera, which was elevated, couldn't focus all the way to the end of  the
crowd.

This is not counting the folks demonstrating at Bourdon who were curious to
see the interior of the Montana where their political future is being decided.
 Radio Metropole said that the people were dancing on the balconies of the
hotel,  a rara band showed up, and every one left peacefully.

Seeing all these people reminded me why I thought the original results for
Preval may have been closer to 80%.

It seems the <blank votes>, which I guess total about 85,000, are the  key as
to whether there's something funny going on in Montanaville.

85,000 people standing in line for hours so the could do a blank vote.  Haiti
is joining the world of sophisticated politics.

Word is that people took to the streets in Jacmel, Aux Cayes and Au  Cap.

I did go out this morning. At the first barricade they yelled <Hey  Richard ,
where are you going?>. I told them that I would be back soon, but I  had to
get a plumber. <Got anything for us?> <Yea> I said, <when  I come back>.

To get to the top of Canape Vert, I went through about 4 seemingly unmanned
barricades, all of which had a point of passage. No taxis or cars but there
were  people on foot and the side walk market ladies were out.

One candidate, Jeune, who stands at about 5%, said he was going to give his
support to Preval. Another, Dany Toussaint said that we out to respect the
voice  of the people and the people had spoken. He didn't mention anyone by
name.

Desmond Tutu who I hear was at the Montana, was said to have asked for  calm.

A spokes person for the UN said that they fired into the air at Tabarre and
that they were not responsible for any deaths.

This would have been a great day for the corporate photographers but most  of
them have already left.