28308: Sprague: (Reply) Lynn Duff Replies to Lance Durban (fwd)

From: J.Sprague
Here is a reply from Lynn Duff to Lance Durban in regards to his
statement that her "political slant degrades" the value of her recent
interview with TiPapa Lucian.

  Hi Lance:

It's interesting that you say the piece is "politically slanted"
since none of my words or analysis is even in the story. I did more
than 50 interviews during the months of Feb/March and never
encountered anyone who said they had been chased from the countryside
by chimeres. You assume that I "went looking" for someone to
interview whose story fit my perspective, which is not true at all. I
interviewed this kid because he was articulate and I would have
reported it the same way if he said that chimeres stole from his
family rather than ex-soldiers. You say I could have "just as easily"
found a child who had been chased from the central platue by chimeres
-- that's not true. I spoke with dozens of street children and heard
nothing of the kind. I invite you to go speak to the street children
in front of the Deli Mart on Delmas 33 and tell me what you hear. In
all my years of reporting in Haiti I have never not reported a story
because it made implicated aristide supporters.

There's no way around that fact that abuse of children is political.
And you're right, mistreatment of children does happen on all sides
of the political spectrum. If you read Tipapa's story with an open
mind you'd realize that it implicates both sides -- the ex-soldiers
who extorted money and food, and the peasant family that sold their
child as a restavek.

In the end, however, TiPapa's story is compelling because it's his
words -- not mine. In this political debate about Haiti and Aristide
and Latortue, the one thing that has always been missing is the
voices of the Haitian people. Diplomats and journalists and activists
on all side have said they represent the will of the Haitian people;
but ordinary Haitians themselves need to be given a voice -- whether
we agree with what they say or not.

Lyn Duff