28642: Question from Benson re Cigouave (fwd)

Legrace Benson   lgbenson@cbs.ucsb.edu

would like to find a source for the etymology of the word cigouave. The creature appears in the Marcellin brothers Beast of the Haitian Hills, and in other tales. What I find so far ties it to the manticore, a mythical composite beast first heard of, apparently, in Ethiopia. Some trace, no leap this creature into Haiti after bounding out of West Africa, leaving no intervening spoor. I am guessing it has nothing to do with manticores but is still lurking in the woods as a Taino maroon. Are there any trails to it through Kreyol? One of these beasts is currently inhabiting an opening paragraph of Section I of a book underway, and the correct zanzet is of some concern.
I'll appreciate any leads.
Reply to   lgbenson@cbs.ucsb.edu