28788: Leon: (reply) Re: 28773: Kathleen (question) targeting American and Canadian missionaries (fwd)

From: Jeffrey Leon <jeffreybleon@yahoo.com>

Great question ...

I am sure that any answer that you get will be anecdotal evidence at best. I used to always here that nothing would happen to the blan missionaries, b/c Haitians know that you are here to help.

Maybe now, some don't like the "help". There's the proverb that goes something like "If you can get an advantage, take it" .... Well, white missionaries provide quite an advantage to scoring some cash.

I work with college students ... and take them on service learning trips ( I don't call them mission trips -- but that's a whole other subject). I am sure that if I called one of their parents, and told them that their son or daughter was kidnapped, they would ante up in a heartbeat. It's a sure thing ... an advantage that is easily taken.

  Peace,

  PS  Let me know if you have any good answers to your questions.