28797: De Verteuil (reply) Re: 28785: Kawonabo1500: (reply) Pierre (Reply) 28780: Verteuil (reply) (fwd)

From: pdeverteuil@yahoo.com

Dear Kawonabo
We do not indeed seem to inhabit the same world. You say the developed world
is loosing its jobs through delocalization to, amongst others, Haiti! If
only that were true. Americans are crying the blues because their
unemployment rate has risen to 6%. Here in Haiti it is, at least, 70% and
that is the problem. If things worked as you seem to think they do the
exploiters would all have rushed here to enjoy the cheap labor and Haiti
would have 6% unemployed and the US 70%.
My point; my only point is that whilst unemployment is the norm we should,
as a society, do the utmost to attract employers (local and foreign) and the
minimum to discourage them. Unions may as you believe serve the interests of
the employed but they do so whilst acting as a brake on employment. This
does not matter if there are more jobs available than workers to fill them.
This is not our case.
Loud cries of shame and outrage have done nothing over the years to
discourage Haitians from going to the incredibly hard labor of the Dominican
sugar cane fields. That has also been compared to slavery and yet most who
go are going for the second or third or fourth time; presumably the believe
that these horrible jobs are better than the "no jobs" on offer in their
homeland.