28864: (reply) Reporters Without Borders: re: 28802: IRI and RSF (fwd)

From: RSF AMERICAS <ameriques@rsf.org>

To Haiti Mailing list

We would like you to publish our response to the
article you carried by Diana Barahona and Jeb
Sprague ("Reporters Without Borders and
Washington's Coups").

We do not receive any funding from the
International Republican Institute.  This is a
pure figment of the authors' imagination.  Your
readers can check our certified accounts on our
website, rsf.org.

Barahona and Sprague claim they have exposed
Reporters Without Borders, saying it cannot
possibly sell more than 100,000 books of
photographs each year.  In fact, we do sell this
number worldwide and the proceeds ensure our
financial independence.

Since we get no money at all from the
International Republican Institute, the article's
ramblings about our supposed lack of objectivity
concerning Haiti and Venezuela are complete
nonsense.

We suggest that the authors of this ill-informed
article make contact with the families of Haitian
journalists killed during the presidencies of
Jean-Bertrand Aristide to learn the nature of our
activities.  Far from wanting to destabilise
anything, we have simply been concerned with
fighting against the failure to punish the
killers of journalists Jean Dominique and Brignol
Lindor and working with their families to this
end.

Sincerely,

Jean-François Julliard
News Editor