28990: Peterson: (reply) Re: 28977: kathleen (comment) Marc Binard (fwd) destarke (comment) (fwd)

From: Audrey Peterson <destarke@yahoo.com>

I know  nothing about the Joren Leth issue, so
certainly won't comment on that. I agree with Kathleen
that there is hypocrisy in the air, exploitation is
exploitation--what I disagree about is that a woman
under 80 doesn't have to pay for sex in Haiti. In
other places in the Caribbean, ie Jamaica, there's an
entire "rent-a-dread movement" that has European women
of a certain age paying for sex with black men. Sexual
tourism is a very real thing in other places in the
Caribbean, and apparently Africa. It's all on a much
much smaller scale than male sexual tourism, but it
exists.  If it's happening in those places, then
wouldn't it follow that the likelihood that it
happened, and may even be happening on a small scale
in Haiti is high? No disrespect, but why else would a
young Haitian man sleep with someone old enough to be
his mother, whatever racial or cultural background? So
maybe money doesn't change hands, but let's put it
this way, I have a dear young woman friend, Haitian,
who lives here in the States now, but back when she
was in Haiti she had to do some pretty questionable
things to feed her mother and brothers and keep food
on the table. She is a person who would not have done
it unless she was pretty desperate. I've never been
there, would love to go when I screw up my courage,
but from the bit of information I can garner from all
of you and from my Haitian friends, the country seems
pretty desperate.

Having said all that,  what piqued my interest was the
character of Legba and the time period--the Duvalier
regime--I could care less about Charlotte Rampling's
character and her sexual needs. Boring. If anyone
could recommend a film or documentary that they think
really brings Haiti to life, is instructive, informs,
entertains--no matter what era--I would be grateful. I
am completley ignorant when it comes to Haitian
cinema, and films about Haiti, and would love an
alternative to "Heading South" In fact, a top ten list
would be greatly appreciated!