29008: Hermantin(News)An ethnic side of civic life (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

THE HAITIAN COMMUNITY
An ethnic side of civic life

Haitians have a large presence in North Miami, and it influences the politics and everyday life of the city.
BY MARISSA D. CLARKE
mclarke@MiamiHerald.com

The Haitian-American community is one of the most dominant ethnic groups in North Miami, helping to elect the city's first Haitian-American mayor, Joe Celestin, in 2001.

Last year, two other Haitian Americans were elected to the City Council -- Marie Steril and Jacques Despinosse.

''I believe my people can do better,'' Despinosse said in a phone interview. ``I would like for people to be more involved.''

That involvement, according to Despinosse, includes more Haitian immigrants becoming citizens and voting.

''I try to get Haitians to understand their civic responsibility to make sure we have representation at the polls,'' he said.

Despinosse, who has lived in the city for more than 12 years, came to the United States in 1968 and moved to Florida in the late 1970s.

''I have seen changes, believe me,'' he said, ``but we can do more.''

Part of those changes can be seen along a strip of West Dixie Highway, which is home to a number of Haitian-run businesses, including beauty salons, clothing stores and a tailor shop. The seafood restaurant Chef Creole serves a variety of Caribbean-influenced food, such as oxtail, steamed shrimp and conch and chicken.

''We have been in North Miami for about eight years,'' said manager Harry Pierre.

The restaurant is the brainchild of Wilkenson Sejour and his friend, the late Jude Pierre. They opened the first Chef Creole in 1992.

Chef Creole has catered to many patrons, including National Basketball Association star Magic Johnson, and has offered discounts to students and to police officers with a badge or in uniform.

''I love their food -- there is something about the food,'' said customer Asia Casses, who was ordering takeout.

Casses grew up in North Miami and recently moved to Carol City.

But she still makes the trip to Chef Creole ``about two or three times a week.''