29121: Morse (comment) School; slow start (fwd)

 oloffsonram@aol.com

School was supposed to start on September 4 this year in Haiti....

I saw a dozen school uniforms in the street that monday.
Most people when you ask them say it's an economic thing. Not enough money for supplies, uniforms, registration etc.

I'm wondering if it also has to do with the fact that until recently, school in Haiti started in October. "Les Grandes Vacances" finshed in late Auguste, early September and people had three or three and a half weeks to get ready for school.

If you ask people when they're going, the answers vary from Monday the 11th, to October, to even January. If some one's waiting till January then it's strictly an economic thing. If they tell you October, they're not ready and they don't want to pay a full month for September and only get half a month in return.

In any case the Ministry of Education should start thinking about what to do in coming years so the whole thing can get straightened out.

Richard Morse