29151: Morse (comment) song lyrics (fwd)

From: oloffsonram@aol.com

This is a rough translation of one of the most popular songs RAM has ever released on Haitian airwaves. It's not the whole song, just the first of three sections. The other two sections are comprised of traditional songs. I never know what makes a particular song popular. I always assume it's the melody and the rhythm, but in this case, what intrigues me is the point of view. The point of view isn't from a political faction, it's from the population at large which the politicians and their followers (Lavalas, 184, Convergence, etc) always claim as their own. Its the first carnival video RAM has done in 7 years....

In November of '85
They killed three children in Gonaives
We rose up
And we told them thats enough

We won't ever forget
the day they made us rise up
We won't ever forget
But we have to forgive

We've been duped by false prophets
We've been duped by military weapons
But thanks to the grace of the Lord
we have to faith to rise up

We won't ever forget
the day they made us rise up
We won't ever forget
But we have to forgive

They take me the the Dominican Republic
They asked me to work the earth
But when our children are born
They declare that they won't have papers

We won't ever forget
the day they made us rise up
We won't ever forget
But we have to forgive