29229: Hermantin(News) Letters to Editor (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Fri, Sep. 22, 2006

Creyol is limiting

Re the Sept. 18 article School's Creyol classes causing a stir: The saddest irony of teaching Creyol to Haitian-American children is that it cuts off their access to their own great literary tradition. The great writers of Haiti's past -- René Depestre, Jacques Roumain and Léon Laleau -- all wrote in French.

Haiti's best current writers are evenly split between French and English.

ALLEN A. SMITH, North Miami

Why on Earth are we spending public funds to teach kids in school the language of peasants? While we are on the subject, why do we have county signs done in Creyol? Are we trying to keep them in the same state of underdevelopment?

RALPH MARTINS, Miami