29246: Suzanne Seitz (announce) Margaret Alexander (fwd)

From: suzanneseitz@comcast.net

It is with great sadness I report the following:

A helicopter with 24 on board went missing on Friday afternoon in the high mountains of Nepal. Included on board were the deputy director of USAID here, and a long-term, and well respected FSN. Additionally several members of a WWF group, including one American, the CDA from the Finish Embassy here, and numerous ministry level officials from Nepal. They had been attending a ceremony to mark the turnover of a WWF project to local control.

The Deputy Director on board was MARGARET ALEXANDER, who
served as USAID’s regional legal advisor in Haiti and the Caribbean, where she participated in the USG reconstruction program for Haiti, from 1997 to 2001.

Since then,Margaret (a Lawyer and Archeologist) has spent most of her time in Africa. She was thrilled with her next Post as Mission Director in the Congo.

I am posting this extremely sad news on the list as there are surely members who remember the extraordinary caring nature of Margaret, and some who could treasure her as a friend. We are devastated at this tragic loss, and grieve also for the others on board - on a mission for World WildLife. A tragedy.

Sue Seitz (in Africa)