29260: Rigdon: Micro-Finance organizations in Haiti (fwd)

FROM: John Rigdon
jrigdon@researchonline.net

SUBJECT: Micro-Finance organizations and Haiti

Several months ago I was introduced to a micro-finance organization
called KIVA.org.  I found several things quite compelling regarding this
organization.

1.  Individuals can loan in amounts as small as $25 via PAYPAL and
designate a particular applicant to receive the loan.  The loans are
added to others and once the amount needed is raised, the recipient
receives the loan.

2.  Their website lists applicants, their needs and objectives.  Once a
loan is made, regular updates on the status of the loan repayment are
available.

3. Once the loan is repaid, you can either designate a new person /
group to receive the money or withdraw the funds.

I would REALLY like my loans to go to people in Haiti, but KIVA does not
currently have a prescence there.  Do you know of a group that may
affiliate with KIVA or another group which currently has a similar
program?

Listed below are the NGOs I have found who are involved in microfinance
in Haiti.  If you know of others, please drop me a note.

John Rigdon
Tools and Resources for Haiti
http://www.researchonline.net/haiti

==========================

Fondasyon Kole Zepòl (FONKOZE)
Haitian Microfinance, Inc

--------

FHAF, Haiti: The Fonds Haitien D'Aide a la Femme began its operations
with a WWB loan guarantee programme in 1983. Using additional funds from
IADB and local banks, FHAF operates a co-financing system, where members
open bank accounts, and is responsible for its repayment directly to
local banks. Its services include client identification and screening,
loan analysis, loan approval and follow-up, training and management
assistance etc.
FHAF, B.P. 15065, Petion-Ville, Haiti , Fax: +(509) 462-165

Peasant Movement of Papay (MPP), Haiti: MPP Haiti is a movement
organized to combat the exploitation and dominantion of peasants. In
addition to loans for self-employment, agricultural and emergency loans
are also available. MMP Haiti requires that all clients save in a group
savings account. Training in literacy and management of small business
is available also. All first time borrowers are in the bottom 50% of
those living below the national poverty line.
B.P. 15697, Pettonville, Haiti, Ph:(509)49-14-99, Fx:(509)49-27-55

--------
Some key players in microfinance in Haiti: Banks:
SHEC
Banque d' l'Union Haitienne
SOGEBank
Unibank