29400: Blanchet: HAITI -- DIPLOMACY -- Rift with China puts U.N. aid to Haiti at risk (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

Rift with China puts U.N. aid to Haiti at risk
- Miami Herald/Jacqueline Charles

PORT-AU-PRINCE - Foreign diplomats say they are feverishly working behind the scenes to mend a Haitian flap with China that could jeopardize the U.N. peacekeeping force deployed here.

The diplomats said China, which has veto power in the U.N. Security Council, is threatening to veto the renewal of the U.N. peacekeeping operations in Haiti when it comes up for a vote in February. China also has 130 police officers serving in Haiti as part of the U.N. mission.

The Haitian government sparked the threat when it unsuccessfully attempted in September to put a pro-Taiwan proposal on the U.N. General Assembly's agenda.

Haiti has long favored Taiwan in its struggle for recognition against Beijing, and Taiwan has provided massive financial aid for development and anti-poverty programs.

''It's a serious threat,'' said a foreign diplomat familiar with the incident. The diplomat asked for anonymity because of the sensitivity of the dispute.

The Chinese delegations at the United Nations and in Port-au-Prince declined comment on the issue.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice showed concern, calling Haitian President René Préval to ask why his government would risk angering Beijing.

Préval, who confirmed the phone call in an interview with The Miami Herald, said he plans to discuss the issue with China in hopes of mending fences. He added that Haiti believes that all problems between nations, including those between China and Taiwan, should be discussed at the United Nations.

''We told China, we will always have the same position we've always had. That position is . . . -- we are not saying we are going to take sides between Taiwan and China -- but let's discuss the problem,'' he said. ``If they are upset with us all the way up to preventing [the U.N. peacekeepersfrom renewing their mandate, then it is unfortunate.''

Préval added that the United States, France and Canada -- key players in efforts to restore Haiti's stability following the 2004 ouster of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide -- should also work to ease the tensions between Haiti and China.

While some diplomats say they don't believe China will use its veto, others are not willing to wait until February to find out. They plan to talk to both sides, telling the Chinese that no harm was done since the Haitian proposal on Taiwan was rejected and telling Préval that regardless of Haiti's long running ties with Taiwan, he cannot afford such diplomatic blunders.