29624: marynpat (reply) Re: 29619: (news) Chamberlain: Six months on, Haitians grumble over government (fwd)

From: marynpat <marynpat@prodigy.net>

This is my first time up on your list.  I felt I should add some hope to the
conversation.  My group from Wisconsin,  Friends of Haiti, Inc. has been
going to Haiti twice a year since 2001.  The only time we missed was in
March after the government was overthrown and American Airlines cancelled
flights.  In October 2006 we were excited to experience the following
progress.  There was road work being done (lots of heavy equipment) on Mount
Konbrit .  Besides the one road up the mountain, they had started making a
rmore direct road down the mountain to Thomazeau, one of the areas where we
work.  Because of the improvements, we were able to get to our destination
more quickly.   Also, there are funds with the government training health
agents in city and rural mountain areas to improve health care with
vacinnations, nutrition programs, and referrals for TB, AIDs etc.  The
Haitian people we partner with were involved in this project.  We came home
excited and more hopeful.