29649: lyall (comment) Vertieres Day celebration in Berzerkeley (fwd)

Maitre Lyall writes:

I need to thank brother Clay Kilgore for posting about the Vertieres Day celebration. In Berkeley. We drove down from Eureka for the event.

We had a great time, hanging around with Haytians for the first time since coming to rest in Kalifornya. A real Konpas band played, from the east bay.

So many real Haitian things I was forgetting. Like the dinner shows up at 9pm and doesn't get served until 10:30. Hey, the band did start playing before 9pm tho. Cause they wanted to. That was some kind of kalifornya dead-head thing I guess.

Nice club space that, too. The Ashkenazim. Old warehouse with structural beams exposed in the walls. If it had sawdust on the floor it would be perfect. Probably not allowed in 21st century Calif.

So hey, thanks Bay Area Haitian community.