29678: Hermantin(News)Spirit Airlines petitions for flights to Port-au-Prince (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

NONSTOP TO HAITI

Spirit Airlines petitions for flights to Port-au-Prince

By Glenn Singer
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

December 16, 2006

In a departure from its sun-and-fun marketing approach to the Caribbean, Spirit Airlines has asked the Department of Transportation for permission to serve Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to capitalize on the growing Haitian population in South Florida.

If approved, the Miramar-based carrier plans to begin nonstop service from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport by late March or early April, offering fares that undercut American Airlines' nonstops from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

The move is part of Spirit's efforts to increase routes in the Caribbean and Latin America, offering few frills but lower prices to a segment of the flying public that focuses largely on cost, company officials said Friday. Spirit won U.S. approval late last month to serve Caracas, Venezuela, but that request is pending Venezuelan government approval.

"If we limited our focus to leisure and the beach, we'd be missing an enormous market," said Ben Baldanza, Spirit's chief executive officer. The Haitian market is a prime example, he said.

According to a 2005 U.S. Census Bureau survey, more than 240,000 Haitians live in South Florida, with almost 88,000 in Broward County alone.

"Add to this 10 million people in Haiti, many of whom can't afford to fly at current prices, and we see a huge opportunity," said Barry Biffle, Spirit's chief marketing officer.

According to its Web site, American Airlines charges about $370 for the roundtrip between Fort Lauderdale and Port-au-Prince, and Spirit officials said they expect to beat that price by a significant amount. They said they could not discuss specifics before Department of Transportation action on their application, expected in 10 to 15 business days.

"When you consider that many people fly with their family members, we believe the difference in price will be considerable," Biffle said.

Spirit's vice president for airport operations, Tony Lefebvre, was in Haiti on Thursday to inspect Port-au-Prince International Airport and determine if any needs have to be addressed before service begins.

"The airport infrastructure looked very good," Lefebvre said. He said he saw no obstacles related to customer service ranging from check-in to gate operations.

Staff researcher John Maines contributed to this report.

Glenn Singer can be reached at gsinger@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6612.

WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes – enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/