29731: Philippe (reply) Re: 29720: Durban (comment): On Emmigrating and Opportunity (fwd)

From: "Philippe [iso-8859-1] Clérié" <philippe@gcal.net>

On Tuesday 26 December 2006 08:10, you wrote:
Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com> comments:

In post 29688, Haiti resident Philippe Clerie opines:
     "every evening I go to sleep wishing I could just leave."

My first reaction is that the grass always looks greener on the other
side of the fence,

Of course!

But in my case the grass _is_ really greener on the other side. See, when I
was a kid, I was fascinated by the US space program. In 68 when Armstrong set
foot on the moon, I was listening on the radio (no TV then!). I definitely
wanted to be an astronaut. That lasted about a year. Somebody eventually
drilled into my head that it was an impossible dream. Around that time I was
reading a book about atomic energy and the idea of working in a nuclear power
plant was absolutely thrilling. From 15 to 18, I knew I was going to be a
nuclear physicist. I eventually settled for electrical engineering. Then in
my senior year at UCLA I got into a computer lab and fell in love with
computers. That was the year of the first Apple computer....

What I'm trying to say is that almost everything I've dreamed of could not be
done in Haiti. Unfortunately, to my greatest regrets, I was never much
interested in the opportunities you speak of. In fact, I wonder why the word
seems to have been reduced to mean only _economic_ opportunities.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>