30165: Bick (reply) lRE: 30159: Leiderman re: 30153: (viewpoint) Haitian rubber-s (fwd)

paulbick@msn.com

"Poorest country in the Western Hemisphere" -- I remember during the time of Aristide's departure, when Haiti was in the news a lot, that every newspaper story - always - used this phrase, ususally in the first paragraph. One wonders to what extent this essentializing "identity" has become self-perpetuating and self-fulfilling. It is to say, over and over, "you are not simply poor, you are the WORST - the most incompetent - and certainly the LEAST capable of caring for yourself." Is it that we need to constantly reinforce and re-present for Haiti, and for ourselves, this totally arbitrary distinction in order to reproduce the binary identities of (in)dependence that have generated such vastly different symbolic (and material) capitals in the two countries?

I think we like Haiti just the way it is...

---

And what would the one-word tag for America be?

"The most hubristic country on earth?"

Paul Bick
Department of Anthropology
The University of Illinois at Chicago