30451: Scheerhorn (reply) Re: 30444 Durban's response to USA - Haiti env report (fwd)

From: Lynn Scheerhorn, lscheerhorn@ohiocitizen.org

I am encouraged that these first steps have been taken to address what we both agree are obvious problems. In order for any action to take place, it must first be studied, and organized and a real plan made. Haiti has long known it has problems, but it seems like they have never been viewed in the whole before.

I have just returned from Haiti last week. I was there for 3 weeks doing medical and dental mission trips. While there I heard discussion about some of these problems, but there was always an attitude of: "I am in Les Cayes, I don't care about Port-au-Prince or Gonaives", etc.

I am an environmentalist, and these issues have long been on my heart. It has been perplexing to me where to begin to address these issues. It seemed as if the nature of the Haitian people is so entrenched in the day to day living, that they have never been able to think far enough ahead to plan for the future. Putting food in their bellys is the work of the day, not planting trees for the future of Haiti.

I find great satisfaction that someone has finally looked at the big picture, and begun the process to plan for Haiti's future. I am a firm believer that the environmental problems are at the root of all of Haiti's problems. Poor drinking water, deforestation, lack of enough natural resources to support the population, create jobs, etc....these must be addressed for any progress to happen. These conditions are what give people little hope for the future.

Deforrestation alone has many ramifications. Less trees means more soil erosion, more soil erosion means less fertile ground to grow crops to sustain people, less crops means less economic benefit for farmers, and less food for people. Soil erosion also means more flooding and loss of life, homes, belongings, economic opportunity. Soil erosion also means when the water and soil are washed to the sea, less water is absorbed into the ground, and the water level of the aquifer is lowered, and salt water intrusion happens.

It's the old snowball effect. I am sure you already know much of this. I do not write to criticise you and your feelings. I can tell you care about Haiti, and are very frustrated with the lack of movement on what to us seem like simple things, build a road - I agree there. But that does not mean that this study and its finding are not important or needed. We need both of these things to happen, side by side. Short term and long term goals. Meet todays needs AND tomorrows!