30551: Kathleen (sharing) Fw: Fw: 30550: Gilles : Re : 30540: Kathleen (reply) Pat Lucien (fwd)

From: Kathleen Burke <kathleendantor@verizon.net>

[Corbett notes: Okay, I'll post Kathleen's reply, but now we are no longer on Haiti, but on theology or whatever. If you wish to discuss it further you will have to do it one on one and not on the HAITI list.

Bob]

Kathleen writes:

 Dear List:
Sharing a contribution from an active and intelligent Episcopalian I met six years ago on the verandah of the Oloffson: Even more than I, he has followed religion through history as well as current events.
Kathleen

...Jesus obviously did not advocate

church-going.  After all, he was Jew who used the synagogue to spread his
message of justice and peace and to heal or exorcise.

The type of Christianity that has been palmed off on Africa and the Caribbean has the effect, whether intended or not, to infantilize people, to keep them compliant. The Great White Master "up there" in the sky will make everything right in the long run(Wasn't it Harry Truman who said that in the long run, we'll all be dead?). Meanwhile the garbage continues tio pile up!

It is not a question even of atheism versus theism. I am reading the radical Christian German theologian, pacifist and feminist, Dorothee Soelle, and she asks us to move 'beyond theism and atheism. (She taught at Union Theological in NYC).

What Haiti and Africa really need today is good governance, accountability and democracy, in that order.

Haitians must begin to take responsibility for their own lives. The "bible-believing" Christians, whether from Canada or the US, who come 'to save them' should be put on the next plane home, by force, if necessary!

Believe me, if Jesus of Nazareth were to turn up in the US in election year, he would be arrested by these church-goers and sent off to Guantanimo Bay as an Al-Quaida operative!

They would make Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor appear incompetent.

bc