30729: Hermantin(News) Former home inspires a gritty debut (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Tue, Jul. 10, 2007
Former home inspires a gritty debut
BY ELLEN KANNER

Nick Stone spent his early childhood in Haiti, his mother's homeland, and his teens in a boxing ring. No surprise, then, that the British author has made his literary debut with Mr. Clarinet (HarperCollins, $24.99), a hard-hitting thriller set in Haiti.

The novel opens in Miami, ''my favorite place on earth,'' says London-based Stone, and it introduces the world to Max Mingus, ex-cop, private investigator, just widowed, just out of jail (manslaughter).

With a dark past behind him and an uncertain future ahead, Max takes a case involving a missing child. ''Ten million dollars if he performed a miracle and brought the boy back alive, five million dollars if he came back with just the body and another five million if he dragged the killers in with it.'' The catch? The search will take him to Cite Soleil, Haiti's most notorious slum, and Max isn't the first detective hired for the job. Things ended badly for the others.
Stone, 41, captures South Florida from Little Havana to South Beach, even a Radisson Hotel on Kendall, but saves his most vivid, feverish writing for Haiti, which even from the air exudes ruin and menace, resembling ''a lobster's pincer with most of the top claw chewed off. . .'' As he goes deeper into the devastated country, Max realizes, ``This may not have a happy ending.''

Released in the UK last year, Mr. Clarinet has received the Crime Writers Association's Steel Dagger Award and nominations for best first novel from the International Thriller Writers Association and Mystery Readers International (''Presentation being done in Alaska and the prize is a wooden cat,'' says a bemused Stone).

Named by UK bookseller Waterstone's as one of the 25 Authors of the Future, Stone has a new book out in England, King of Swords, the prequel to Mr. Clarinet. He wrote the ending ''on the beach in Miami, soused on mojitos.'' He's toying with the idea of relocating to his favorite place on earth. Until then, he'll keep writing about Miami.
''You do crimes in Technocolor,'' says Stone with admiration. ``It's like nowhere else.''

Q: How do you account for your criminal mind?