30731: Gilles (reply) Re : 30670: Kriegsman (reply) Re: 30664: Spinelli (reply) To those who responded, or read the back and forth on the Spinelli email (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

Can you let us know how Bernard Gousse and Andy Apaid, business owners have exploited underpaid Haitian workers. It seems to me that is how all businesses flourish including the sweat shops that were once in Haiti. Is it OK for the sweat shops to exploit but not OK for Haitian businessmen.

When you referred to the first democratically elected government, you would agree that this constitutional president was also a demon, a sorcerer, a criminal, a drug dealer - thus whoever got rid of him did us a great favor, although we do believe in respecting the legitimacy of an elected president. To those who wrote on the security situation, it is a fact that kidnappings were part of a legacy left and entertained by the monster called Aristide in retaliation for his alleged kidnapping. The young people in Cite Soleil who never had the means to earn a decent living who were always a peaceful people - suddenly became heavily armed with all types of sophisticated weapons - Aristide did not provide them with schools or homes but did give them guns and money. Folks, what did you expect them to do with those? just think. I have had very good years in Haiti when gun possession was not possible unless one was a policeman, or a tonton macoute at the time - thus most crimes were politically linked. Perhaps we should be politically correct in our analysis by saying the truth.

Regarding the Government of Latortue which is labaled "De facto" - you realize that constitutionally the government was very much legitimate since the President of the Constitutional Court was the next in line to assume power in the event of a presidential vacuum according to the Haitian constitution. Latortue was only a Prime Minister with much power. You would also realize that the constitution does have its flaws and it would not have been possible for Latortue to organize elections in 90 days as stipulated by the constitution. Thus the defacto situation was a "force majeure". To say that Gerard Latortue ushered in Haiti's present depth of suffering is so dishonest and so untrue. Allow me to inform you that when the Latortue and his Ministers joined the Government, the state treasury was already bankrupt. Economic growth was negative (.5) - public reserve could not even guarantee 6 months of imports, the Haitian money devaluated tremendously and Aristide did not even have a budget. It was the Latortue Government who rehabilitated public finances and economic growth rose to 2.5% - You may be able to find facts regarding the Latortue Government in "le Livre blanc de la transition".

For Spinelli, I will make some suggestions on whom you can meet and to discuss your projects - I will send you names and numbers to your email address. Haiti is now in dire needs for good projects. Funds were pledged from several financial institutions (IBRD (largest contributor), World Bank, EDF (European Develoment Fund), OPEC as well as bilateral funding. Funds are available for good projects in Haiti - presently there is a huge problem with the Government's absorption capacity. Most of the Haitian technical experts have left the country. This brain drain impacts negatively on Government human resources. The money is waiting for good projects. Furthermore, Haitian companies do not have the guarantees necessary which tend to amount from 1 million to 5 million dollars after bidding for project implementation.

So far, the government has made good progress and this is a continuation from Latortue's efforts in customs revenues - with these revenues, they are able to construct the road (milot-Cap-Haitien-Ouanaminthe) there is a project to construct Dajabon (DR) - Ouanaminthe.

Again the security dilemma inherited by the Government of Latortue and Preval has not made it easy for the Government to focus on development issues more profoundly. Great efforts have been made so far and things are much better.

Again, in reading some of the postings, I can ask whether our Corbett friends here are contacting the right people or are getting the right information. Regards.