30741: Burnham (chat) :)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbett Village (I'm feeling nostalgic for the days of postings by Guy Antoine and others):

Had a funny moment this morning while eating breakfast at the Oloffson and chatting with photographer Justin Williams. We were discussing the UN mission, pro and con, reaction by Haitians, how people of different socio-economic classes felt, etc....when suddenly, as if on cue, appeared a very large man from the Republic of Guinee...in U.N. uniform. He said good morning and handed us both a small pamphlet and then satdown at a nearby table to have a coffee. It's handsomely arrannged, and printed in Kreyol. It's entitled: "Poukisa Minustah Ann Ayiti". He couldn't have timed it more perfectly. Anyway, it gave me a good chuckle to start the day.

Lots of activity around the city at night, people out and about. I chatted with a fellow on the bus coming down from Petionville and he talked about the availability of transport at night, noting that 6 months ago no one could find transport at night due to all the insecurity. From my limited perspective people seem relaxed and getting on with it.

As a question to the list, I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the various designations of Red Zone/Green Zone, if they're still in effect, who decides and the criteria for said decision?

Looking forward to an evening with RAM at the Oloffson.

Wish many of you were here as well. Bob, when will you be coming to Haiti again?

best,
Thor Burnham