30746L Burnham: RE: 30343: Durban (comment): Cellphone Impact on Foreign Remittances (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

Just an observation regarding Digicel and reference to earlier discussion by Lance Durban on its impact. I had been paying only a marginal attention to Digicel and it's advancement in the Haitian market, but I am blown away by its affordability, flexibility, and ubiquity. (sounds like a pitch, but it isn't...sort of). My initial reaction is that Durban is right to say that there must be an impact on remittances...I am, however, wondering if the impact wont be much more powerful in the social sense. Not that i think I have any idea how to measure or it even ask the right questions. I'm just stunned by the extent to which seemingly everyone is connected here. And to listen to Haitians talk about digicel and life before it arrived here is like listening to people talk about the difference between a dial-up modem and high speed. So perhpas the new time marker should be BD. Before Digicel. I hope they come to Toronto.

best,
thor burnham