30853: (news) Two Americans detained in Port au Prince (fwd)

(Pat Scheu) (news)

Two Americans have been detained in Port au Prince last week, for trying to exit the country with a pair of human skulls. They are Lisa Gruber, who is currently being held in the women's penitentiary in Petionville and Louvel Delon, who is being held in the man's in Penetencier National. According to my source, they have not been charged with any crime so far. They are scheduled to be taken before the Commissaire or district attorney, in Port-au-Prince on Monday or Tuesday. They are being represented by Attorney Marc Lamour, along with his assistant, Maitre Jean Rosier Descartes.

I am putting this information here both as a warning to anyone traveling into or out of Haiti, not to traffic with human remains. And as a plea for help for these two folks. They are young (early 20s) and were stupidly told they could do this by the individuals who sponsored them into the country. That sponsor has abandoned them to the legal system. They do not speak French or Kreyol, so are without the ability to even understand what's happening to them. Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

If anyone knows whether the lawyer is good, or can offer any assistance, I would appreciate it.

Mesi anpil tout moun,
Pat Scheu