#69: Comparative murder statistics in Jamaica and Haiti: Laleau comments

From:NLaleau@aol.com

Haitians are right to complain about the insecurity.  Just because we in the
murderous north are inured to an absolutely disastrous urban crime rate
doesn't mean that is "normal"!  I think Haitians have a far better sense of
what is human on that score.  Friends of mine who had lived in Paris for 7
years returned to San Francisco, and were appalled to be confronted by the
violence of U.S. society... they had forgotten what they had been accustomed
to.

I am currently living in a town where the "crime blotter" mostly includes
about 6-7 alcohol related crimes per week, 3-4 thefts, and extremely rarely,
a murder somewhere in a 20-30 miles radius.  I think this is a lot more like
how humans deserve to be living.  People here are worried about the
insecurity and "gang activity" too... Preoccupation is relative, but murder
is not a "healthy" human activity although unfortunately, it has become
"normal" in many parts of the world.

Nancy Laleau