#108: Yoruba religion and Voodoo: Bellegarde-Smith comments

Note from Corbett:  Originally I sent this note from Perrault
directly to Bellegarde-Smith.  However, given the reply, which Patrick
generously shared with me, I thought the whole exchange should go to the
list.  So, I've re-arranged this to put Perrault's note first and
Bellegarde-Smith's reply second.

<Ange.Perrault@mail.tju.edu> > To: bcorbett@netcom.com

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

 Vodun is first and foremost a SYNCRETIC religion,
meaning largely a mix of Fon and Yoruba and Bakongo elements. There is
little syncretism between Christianity and Vodun, except most
superficially. I am talking theology here. Most scholars -- they are
anthropologists and ethnographers and ethnologists-- will beg to differ.
Theologians have been slow to engage the discourse. Some are doing so
now, and shall be published as time goes by. Hope this helps.

			P. Bellegarde-Smith, PhD
			Department of Africology
			University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee