#148: Improvements in Haiti : Augustin comments

From: felix Augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

Bruce,

I read your post about improvements in Haitian roads.  I wonder if we can
really call this improvement.  The important thing is not putting new
pavement on the roads but to maintain the roads.  Where will the money come
from?  That's a question the Haitian government always fail to take in
consideration.  Remember the road of Bicentenaire.  In 1974, this road was
probably the most beautiful and the smoothest road Haiti ever had.  I
remember it very well because, I walked it every day to go to school.  10
years later, this road was the ugliest an the rockiest road in Haiti.

Furthermore, although roads are necessary for internal transportation,
maintaining and building new roads at this present time is not a good
investment for the country.  It is like putting the cart before the horse.
Building roads should be based on the country's economic growth.  Also, road
building benefits only a minority of Haitians, particularly those who have
access to car or who can pay for public transportation.  If some Haitians
have a need for roads, then they must pay for it.  70% of Haitians do not
ride cars.  Emphasis should be on agriculture, education, tourism and other
economic factors which will help Haiti achieve economic growth in the
future.  Rather than spending most of the money on roads, it would be more
beneficial for our government to look at alternative transportation vehicles
such as boats which require less investment and less maintenance.  Being an
island, this form of transportation is very suitable to Haiti.

Felix Augustin