#511: Help in Creole (fwd) Vedrine replies to Allen

From: Emmanuel W. Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

French does a make a distinction between "e ferme" vs. "e ouvert" whereas
Kreyol doesn't and that the "accent aigu /ansantegi" comes into question.
However, by respecting the way someone writes their name (in the case of
using "aksantegi", I don't think we should take complete liberty to change
that (as I said before) though in spoken Kreyol we (bilinguals) already know
that we may not be pronouncing it with a French accent, but in written form
it's like we were to follow a norm though I argue the Kreyol is a phonetic
language. It's also good for quick reference (e.g, in research, through the
web... [ref. to some one's name] in order to avoid confusion.

Some newspapers (sometimes) would write one version in parentheses but, hey
I don't think we are going to look for five feet to the cat or "chercher
midi a quatorze heure". And I mentioned before in the case of "Bon Nouvèl"
(trying to help with a literacy program, dealing with Haitians who are
monolingual or who have little knowledge of French). I can try to understand
their philosophy (in terms of kreyolizing proper names), but still the
question is: is this this a norm to follow or will be followed by all
writers who writing in the vernacular language?

In closing, the issue was about "e aksantegi" and "e" (as oral vowel in
Kreyol)

- E.W.Vedrine