#666: restavek : Russell comments

From: Anne Russell <avrussell@hotmail.com>

UNICEF in Haiti has done some exceptional reports on the situation of
children, including restavek and children with AIDS.  One particularly
poignant video was produced several years ago showing the relationship
between the phenomenon of restaveks and the rise in the number of street
children.  The video focused on child prostitution and the growth of AIDS in
this population, but the links between how restaveks are treated, why they
run away from their "adopted families", why they end up on the streets, why
they take on prostitution, and why they catch AIDS is clear.  And very, very
sad.

What is even sadder is that so few people are aware of the linkages between
the one and the other.  Clearly more research needs to be done on these
subjects, but UNICEF in Haiti is a good place to start.  I believe they also
might have copies of the video available for viewing.  I highly recommend
it.

Anne Russell