#815 Lavinia Williams : Wilcken adds, Corbett offers

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

The messages about Lavinia Williams have stirred memories for me.  I met
Lavinia through Master Drummer Frisner Augustin, who played for her when
he was a child in Port-au-Prince.  My doctoral dissertation was about
folkloric troupes, and Lavinia played an important role in their
evolution.  I interviewed her for the dissertation in 1987, two years
before she passed away.  We talked for about two hours in her studio on
the Champs Mars.  Since Lavinia was such a wonderful repository of
information on Haitain dance, and since she lived through the "noiriste"
period that supported folklore, the interview contains many gems.  I have
it on  tape and used some quotes in my dissertation, but the recent
discussion here suggests that a few folks might be interested in a full
transcript.  I would need a venue for publication.  Any ideas?

Lois Wilcken
makandal-ny@juno.com
=========

Lois, I happily offer space on my web site for it.     Bob Corbett