#986: Vodou Initiation Group --- Grey comments

From:Racine125@aol.com

<<    Today, we see initiation into our ancestral religion being advertised
as
 a safari tour. We are portrayed as objects of curiosity and our beliefs as
 well. Our beloved  "Manman Hunyō" have become "pipi ladies". Foreigners to
 our culture have become our judges.

     Sure, these are critically serious matters. They just constitute a new
 challenge not worse than those we survived in our troubled past. We are not
 surprised, we are not strangers to this type of provocation. We sadly
realize
 that we are just outcasts denied of our rights in our own country.  >>

Oh, puh-LEASE!  This is silly.  I have never heard a maman hunyo referred to
as a "pipi lady", where did you hear this?  LOL!  And my groups are not
"safari tours", either, the participants are strongly motivated, spiritually
committed individuals who in some cases have been searching for years for
exactly the type of opportunity that I and my partner Houngan Yabofe (who is
HAITIAN, duh) provide.

Houngans and Mambos have ALWAYS advertised.  Max Beauvoir calls himself "the
Pope of Vodou"  and claims to be able to cure AIDS, fer Crissakes.  Don't
believe me?  Read "The Rainy Season" by Amy Wilentz.  He has a huge,
elaborate web site.  His "Le Peristyle" in Mariani was REALLY the place where
Vodouisants were portrayed as objects of curiosity, and it's been going on
for decades.  At that house, people pay admission to watch men strip to the
waist and pass flaming torches under their crotches!  Women strip to the
waist too, and do a so-called "Congo dance"!  Don't believe me?  Watch the
videos!  Or get yourself a copy of "Voodoo Fire", published by Llewellyn, the
photos are right there!  NOTHING like that every happens at real peristyles.
Even my first Houngan, the late Luc Gedeon, couldn't repress a guffaw at the
sight of the sizzling-hot testicle dance!  LOL!

Philadelphia-based Angela Novanyon claims to be a Mambo, doesn't speak
Creole, and doesn't even do authentic ceremonies in my view, but she is all
over the media.  She also has a large web site.  She once offered a "Dance
Voodaoun" with a "Latin Jazz Band" as an intermission attraction, $25 at the
door!  And people coming to me from her house report being asked for anything
from $18,000 to $45,000 for a simple kanzo!  Teee heeee!

WE don't do that stuff at our house.  We give people correct, authentic
ceremonies at reasonable prices, we protect them and make sure they eat clean
food and drink purified water and sleep in a safe, protected house.  We
translate and interpret and guide and instruct, we teach vevers and dancing
and prayers and invocation and songs.  When a person leaves our house, they
have got what we promised them!  We charge only $2,500 for asogwe, $1,500 for
sur point, and $750 for simple kanzo.  And NO, that does NOT mean that anyone
who comes to us with $2,500 automatically gets the asson!  I have turned
people away when I thought it was the right thing to do, and I have also
given people higher grades than what they asked for, when that is what was
indicated for them.

What is all the fuss about?  Even before the internet, Houngans and Mambos
advertised and promoted themselves (and ranked on each other) through word of
mouth.  They advertise in Boston right now, on Haitian-oriented radio
stations.  And who is taking away your "rights"?  First of all, Vodou is a
*religion*, not a nationality.  Secondly, if you want to be initiated you
can.  You can even take the asson and initiate others if you want, too.  It's
a lot of work, though, so if you aren't willing to do it, don't wank and
crank at those who have made the committment.  I, for example, held the asson
for ten years before I ever initiated anyone.

"Advertising" is nothing new!  Yoga and tai chi are good examples of other
non-Christian spiritual traditions which have large followings in the USA,
and which are widely advertised everywhere from "spiritual" magazines to the
YWCA!  LOL!  The only difference now is the medium, not the message.

Frankly, I think we should all advertise MORE, to be heard above the din of
white/Christian/Republican propaganda that bombards us every day.  And I
think some of the people complaining about "advertising" are jealous because
they think Yabofe and I are making money.  Well, we are!  A little bit,
anyway.  And we would like to make more!  SO WHAT?  Houngans and Mambos have
ALWAYS been paid for doing wanga, performing ceremonies for lwa on request,
healing the sick, and performing initiations. It's nothing new, and people
who know what they are talking about know this.

In Haiti, in fact, Houngans and Mambos are very competitive.  One almost
never hears a Houngan speaking well of his neighboring Houngans, he is
usually the only one around who "really knows".  Even in the neighborhood
where I take my candidates, one Houngan accused my partner Yabofe of ripping
off the candidates and not really giving them "good assons".  When we
insisted that the candidates' ceremonies were correct, he was even angrier,
and said that we shouldn't have given "blans" the asson!  And finally, he
snuck up on a few of our initiates, told them that only he could do their
ceremonies right, and invited them to repeat their ceremonies at HIS house!
LOL!

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>