#1151: For Haitian-American students (fwd)

From:Nlbo@aol.com

Dear Corbett Friends,

I would like Haitian-American high school and college students  to comment on
some issues that I am hearing. I would like the "experts" to let the new
generation respond. I have heard enough of their expertise.
 Several high school and college students are telling me about the "identity
issue" that young  Haitian-Americans are raising or having on campus. Young
Haitians are trying to "find themselves" . They feel like they are being
considered as Afro-Americans, but they sense they are "different". They have
a different culture, a different upbringing from  Afro Americans.  They are
trying to reach or get involved in Haitian communities where their schools
are as one way to "find themselves."
Is this some students' perception ? How prevalent is that sentiment in other
high schools and colleges?
If that conception is valid, what can adults do, what could they have done to
prevent it?
If it is only some students' concerns, what advice do you have for those
students?
My son is a  freshman in college. He would appreciate to hear from other
students.
Thank you,
Nekita