#1197: Is Creole a handicap? Bellegarde-Smith replies

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

Haitian Creole, indeed, has been seen as a handicap for hundreds of years.
And so has the Vodun religion been seen as a hindrance to Haitian
development. Know what (using a colloquial expression here, or "plain
speech")? My study of Latin American philosophy shows that Indians and
Black people were said to be a major detriment to the development of these
countries. The concerted and deliberate importation of whites by Dom
Pedro I in Brazil, by the Dominican Republic and countless other
countries was to dilute the impact of populations of color in their
respsctive polities. Those who have argued one or all three of these
positions
are guilty of.... Get the hint? You know who you are. How's that for plain
speech?