#1461: Labling of Haiti: response to Corbett from Laudisio

From:Laudisio1x@aol.com

"getting beyond exaggerated generalizations"
31442

I must admit that six years ago I made my first trip to Haiti because it was
"the poorest", I hoped to be able to do something useful, I was curious about
the culture, I was ready to go someplace different ...

What keeps me going back is being in relationship with Haitian people and
discovering more and more about a very "rich" culture ...

Sometimes I think I will  never really be able to understand anything about
Haiti ... it can be overwhelming.  It is often difficult to figure out what
is helpful or harmful about our time and work in Haiti. I have a lot to
learn.

Books help ... this chat room helps ... the enthusiasm of my American friends
who are also getting to know Haiti a little better helps .... spending time
in Haiti helps ... but most of all, having Haitian friends makes it well
worth the effort to stay involved.

Pat Laudisio
Colorado Haiti Project