#1468: Fires rages in Haitian city of Jeremie - Benson comments

From: LeGrace Benson <legracebenson@clarityconnect.com>
Guy, et.al. When I first started studying about Haiti and Haitian art
several years ago, "The Phrase" did indeed seem to be obligatory, and even
came up in questions people would put to me during or after a presentation
on Haitian art.  I would strongly urge them to refocus on the art, and
would lead discussion toward the delights and revealtions of that. A
frequent response was ,"Gee, I never thought of it that way."
It may be no accident that Haiti is never thought of "that" way --i.e. the
way of its music which continues to develp vigorously, its literature both
in French and Kreyol, ditto, and its art, which anyone visiting the several
gallery web sites can immediately see is worth more than a glance.  Some
that does not make it too the web is even more interesting.  Who is the Big
Editor in the Sky that inserts That Phrase, instead of Haiti, one of the
most artistically active countries in the WEstern Hemisphere. Would that
make TIME, NYTimes? How do we change this?