#1599: Cuting Trees in Haiti : Augustin comments

From: felix augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

I recently learned that the city of Cornillon and its surrounding areas are
now the new target places for the production of charcoal. Every day, many
trucks loaded with bags of charcoal travel from Cornillon toward
Port-au-Prince for delivery. Nothing is being done to stop this new market
where the only motivating factor is MONEY. Those greedy to make a quick
sell, are cutting down all kind of trees even those that bear fruits like
mangoes and avocados. What's even worse is that there is no plan to replace
the cut trees. Once a tree is put down, no other tree is replanted.

I would like to know if other corberters are aware about this problem and
what can be done to stop this carnage of our trees and prevent further
degradation of our ecological system. Sooner or later, Cornillon and its
surroundings, this beautiful, green area near Croix-des-bouquets, could
become treeless as it was done to the island of Lagonave and other beautiful
parts of Haiti.
Felix Augustin.