#1669: Gill asks Nekita and others about Jeremie

From: mark gill <markgill@midwest.net>

> I went to Jeremie for the first time in l996. I could only imagine the
beauty
> that my parents always tell me about that town of poets when they were
> growing up.

Nekita points out something that one finds in many places.  Jeremie will
haunt one when they realize how beautiful it must have been.  The same is
true for parts of PauP.

question - when did the deterioration actually begin?  As I only started
going to Haiti in l980, I do not remember the former beauty.  I have read
that Papa Doc
made a concerted effort to induce poverty all over the country.

Surely someone on the list can remember when the beauty began to fade, and
the reasons why.

mgill